Friday, March 20, 2009

Window

An armada of bulbed clouds started turning purple and orange. They appear as mobile billboards, advertising a vigil contentedness. The sky is an otherwise circumstantial layer, blanketing the white foliage with sweat, carrying the odor of car gas as its eternal wedding gift. That’s how Mother Nature works when she’s dealing with our house calls. She’s abbreviating a state-wide weariness, sour and pregnant with weather patterns...

Mostly what came to mind was the insane amount of people I ran into today. Some we scheduled to meet, some by chance. And to the ones by chance, I questioned the one's who didn't acknowledge me with a wave or smile. Did they just not see me or did they ignore me on purpose? That plagued me, to be honest.

I was doing the English exercise at this Hawaiian barbeque place with two friends I ran into. I remembered it when Mai mentioned a paper due for a class, which set me off into an internal nervous breakdown about having the time to finish. I also thought about the owner and his wife being extra nice, letting us sit and finish our food well past their closing time. He asked us about our ethnicities, majors and years with genuine curiosity. I missed receiving such ease and kindness from a stranger, though I can't really say we're stangers anymore. Very shortly after meeting him, he smiled at me in that familiar way you do with someone you know. I felt at home.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Natania,
    I will be in your group for the time being. It was great reading your first blog post. Your first paragraph pulled me in real quick and you smoothly transited to your thoughts and ideas. Good job! I like how you questioned the people that didn't greet you. It gives me an idea of who you are or what you expect from people. You do a great job of allowing the reader to know your personality by just giving a short analysis of how looking through the window worked for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Natania,
    I really loved your opening paragraph, your diction and description made the picture very clear to the reader. The transition was well done, and you also made a point of making yourself seem relatable by talking about something everyon has encountered. . . anxiety about an assignment. Also, the full circle ending was very well done. Great job, keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete