Tuesday, March 31, 2009

After Vitzel, Albert Goldbarth
This was very long but in parts, which I like in writing. This is what I attempted to mimic in my last entry. The phrases are very vague but expressive and it's more like the reaction the reader has when experiencing those words together, rather than the concrete meaning of it. Sometimes it's nonsense but he still manages to create a kind of flowing, almost comical voice. The vocabulary he uses always has a theme that ties it together. When paragraphs or moods change, so do his words.

The Death of the Moth, Virginia Woolf
Who's afraid of Virginia Woolf? That would be me. There is absolutely no plot in this story, but it is beautiful. She relies soley on poetic imagery and metaphor. On the surface it was to me mere idle musings and irrelevant to my life. But I came to see how it romanticized the relateable and similar stasis I have had in Biology class. I was of course bored out of my mind and far more concerned with the events of the yellow little spider on the wall then whatever the professor could possibly be talking about. And when the moth began struggling and protesting, and how she focused on the detail of the legs twitching and fighting for life -- it was quiet sad.

1 comment:

  1. Natania,

    you have great writing skills! I really enjoyed reading your detailed and analytical reviews on both of these essays you chose. You really show what you mean by using the details and the descriptions. I like how you analyzed the second essay. You didn't relate to the author's writing, yet you found it interesting and you explained why. Good job!

    ReplyDelete